Mr. Steven Meseke was born in Cedar Rapids, IA. He lived in Hiawatha, IA until his father, Rev. Gilbert Meseke, accepted a call to be the Director of Recruitment, Admissions, and Public Relations at Concordia Junior College in Ann Arbor, MI. Steve and his family moved to Michigan during the summer before his senior year of high school, and he finished his studies at Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor.
Steve enrolled at Concordia and began searching for his vocation. While at Concordia, he was the intramural director for Ruth dorm and also started a wrestling club. During his time on campus, he found teaching to be God’s calling for his professional life. He also found the vocation in his personal life, when he met his future wife, Sharon (nee Stroh) at Concordia. After receiving their A.A’s, they finished their Bachelors degree’s in Education at Concordia, River Forest. Steve continued his education with Masters’ degrees from Eastern Michigan University and Saginaw Valley State University.
Throughout his 40+ years of teaching ministry, Steve has held various positions in Lutheran high schools, mainly in administration as an Assistant Principal and Principal at Lutheran High North in Macomb, MI, and at Lutheran High East in Harper Woods, MI. He served as Assistant Superintendent, and serves now as Superintendent of the Lutheran High School Association of Greater Detroit. He has also been a part of numerous committees and boards supporting Lutheran education, campus ministry, the growth and implementation of curriculum in Lutheran high schools, and helping children and church workers alike with skill development in mental, physical, and financial health.
Steve and Sharon are active members at Trinity Lutheran Church in Clinton Township, where Sharon teaches 4th grade. They are avid campers and have a special family camping reunion at Pokagon State Park in Indiana where they have been going for 37 years. The couple has two children, Ruth and Peter, and five grandchildren.
The Outstanding Alumnus Award honors graduates of Concordia for reflecting in their lives and careers the values upon which the university was founded.
To nominate an outstanding alumnus, fill out this form and send it to the CUAA Office of Advancement. The committee will consider your nomination in next year’s process.
Would you like to participate in the Outstanding Alumnus Award Committee? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past Outstanding Alumni
- 1985 Timothy E. Winter, ‘73
- 1986 Rev. Dr. Gilbert C. Meilaender, Jr., ‘66
- 1987 (Not Awarded)
- 1988 Rev. Michael S. Ruhl, '65
- 1989 Karen Kayser Kersten, '75
- 1990 Rev. Dr. Walter Warneck, '65
- 1991 Rev. Dr. Kittrell O. Moore, ‘66
- 1992 Rev. Dr. Kenneth Haugk, '65
- 1993 Rev. Dr. Dean W. Nadasdy, '67
- 1993 Julie Nielsen-Schmidt, '79
- 1994 Dr. Leslie J. Fyans Jr., '72
- 1995 Rev. Mark Patrick Braden, '88 (December Commencement)
- 1995 Dr. Peter Silzer, '70
- 1996 Catherine F. Lick, '68 (December Commencement)
- 1996 James Geyer, '73
- 1997 Rev. Jonathan B. Trinklein, '75
- 1998 Gary Quick, '65 (December Commencement)
- 1998 Ruth Koch, '65
- 1999 Dr. Martin Jean, '82
- 2000 Dr. Shirley Miske, '73
- 2001 Dr. Richard Luker, '81
- 2002 (Not Awarded)
- 2003 (Not Awarded)
- 2004 Dr. Elizabeth Birr-Moje, '83
- 2005 Chaplain, Capt. Matthew A. Boarts, '90
- 2006 Dr. Mark Looker, '71
- 2007 Dr. Manfred B. Boos, '68
- 2008 Rev. Wray A. Offermann, '67
- 2009 Donald Wharton, '72
- 2010 Rev. Dr. David P. E. Maier, '78
- 2011 Rev. Mark Brandt, ‘74
- 2012 Rev. Gregory Seltz, ‘82
- 2013 Rev. Dr. Paul R. Naumann, '80
- 2014 Mr. & Mrs. Andrew and Heidi Woell, '86
- 2015 Mrs. Judith Fischer Wollack, '74
- 2016 Travis Grulke, ‘01