The 2016 Concordia University Solo & Ensemble Festival is an independent solo and ensemble festival for students in Grades 3 through 12. Students from public, private, charter, and home schools are welcome to register and participate.
Participating students will be evaluated by qualified judges and assigned a rating on a 5-point scale (Poor, Fair, Good, Excellent, Superior). Students may register for either a Solo performance, or as a member of a small Ensemble.The Solo and Ensemble Festival will be held on Saturday, April 2, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Kreft Fine Arts Center and Kreiger Building at Concordia University. Student warm-up and instrument storage will be in the Black Box Theater. Students will be contacted with a confirmation including performance time and performance room no later than Monday, March 28, 2016.
Date and Time
Saturday, April 2, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
All registrations must include piano accompaniment to receive a rating, unless published as “a capella” or without piano accompaniment. Students are required to provide their own accompaniment. Students who fail to meet this requirement will not receive a Rating, but can participate for “Comments Only.”
Original solo parts or original score with solo parts included (for solos) and scores (for ensembles) with measures numbered consecutively, must be furnished to the adjudicator before any solo or ensemble may perform for evaluation.
Photocopies of music may only be used under the following conditions: At the time of the Festival at the student shall:
- Attach to the copied music a letter from the PUBLISHER giving permission to copy, OR
- In the event that a publisher does not respond, attach to the copied music a letter from a sheet music dealer stating that a request to copy was made to the publisher at least 14 days prior to the event at which selections are performed.
- “E print music scores” may be used provided proof of purchase is attached to each musical score supplied to the adjudicators
Maximum length of solos and ensembles should not exceed six (6) minutes. Alterations in the music performed to comply with the time limit should involve eliminating repeated sections rather than omissions of essential sections. Solos and ensembles of less than six (6) minutes duration must be played in their entirety.
- Registration fees for Solo Events is $10 per event
- Registration fees for Ensemble Events is $8 per ensemble member
- Registration deadline is Friday, March 25, 2016
- Cancellation deadline (with refund) is Friday, March 25, 2016
Juniors or Seniors that receive a rating of “Superior” on a Solo performance will automatically qualify for a $2,000 Cadenza Scholarship for enrollment at Concordia University.
Students may perform a solo in one of the following categories:
- Saxophone (Alto, Tenor, or Baritone)
- Clarinet (or Bass Clarinet)
- String Bass
- Euphonium / Baritone
- Flute / Piccolo
- French Horn
Students may perform an ensemble (two to twelve students) in the following categories:
- Double Reeds (Oboe, Bassoon)
- Brass – Mixed
- Low Brass (Trombone, Baritone, Tuba)
- French Horn
- Woodwinds – Mixed