Dear Concordia students, faculty, and staff,
It’s the final week of this Fall semester. Please know that I am both proud of you and also praying for you as you journey through the upcoming days. You have worked hard and overcome many challenges to get to this point; may our gracious God give you strength, peace, and joy as you finish this semester strong. God is with you; He is Immanuel, which means “God with us.”
Thank you for taking a moment to read this “Quick campus COVID update.” It contains vitally important and timely information as we wrap up the Fall and look ahead to what’s next.
COVID by the numbers - 12/08/2020
- 4 positive active cases (3 students + 1 employee) connected to our campus community (this number is updated each morning on our website).
- NO students who have tested positive are in our residence halls.
- 6 students are in quarantine; all are quarantining off campus either at home or in their off campus living situation.
The CDC has changed its quarantine recommendations. What does this mean for CUAA?
- Since the beginning of this pandemic the University has followed CDC guidelines. Last week the CDC adjusted some important standards that we will also adopt.
- Starting immediately, the length of quarantine for close contacts to a known positive COVID-19 case has been reduced from 14 to 10 days as long as they remain symptom-free. Symptom monitoring should continue for the full 14 days, however.
- The 10 day quarantine is what the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) is allowing for the state of Michigan; this is also in alignment with our local Washtenaw County Health Department.
- This reduction in quarantine will be implemented retroactively. Human Resources Department (HR) and our COVID ATs and COVID Nurses will be updating quarantine end dates.
- Honest completion of the Daily Symptom Tracker continues to be a first step in mitigating the spread of COVID-19.
What will the Spring semester look like?
- In many ways, the Spring semester (beginning January 25, 2021) will look a lot like this past Fall semester. We will continue to be a COVID Conscious campus, with physical distancing and masks required. Our classrooms will have a COVID capacity, just as in the Fall. Please know that we will continue to work closely within the CDC guidelines as well as our state and local guidelines as we carefully make decisions, and we will continue to operate with flexibility, resilience, and grace.
- We are moving forward with the new guest policy (allowing one guest - a Concordia affiliate - in a suite at a time) and roommate agreement form in our residence halls. As previously shared, that policy would go into effect during Winterim, unless local authorities recommend otherwise. Please connect with the Residence Life staff if you have any questions.
I’m grateful for each one of you. Thanks for being awesome!
REV. DR. RYAN PETERSON
Vice President of Administration
Office of the President