As a CUAA Social Studies major, you’ll study society and human behavior, both past and present. From civic ideals to power and governance, you’ll learn important concepts that explain individual and human characteristics.
The Social Studies major is aimed at preparing students for a life of service as teachers; however, it is also very helpful to those preparing for a law career or other leadership position in the church and the world.
The CUAA Advantage
A CUAA degree in Social Studies offers you:
- A curriculum focused on participation in society as productive Christian citizens
- Social and behavioral skills to become effective servant leaders
- Small classroom sizes and personal connections with teachers and administrators
- A challenging academic community dedicated to your intellectual, social, and spiritual growth
- Opportunities to study abroad, gain a global perspective, and learn to interact with people of other cultures
Our Social Studies program will teach you how to:
- Observe and analyze a wide range of social behavior
- Explain key concepts of economics, geography, and political science
- Explain historical events and people for each era of U.S. and global history
- Apply social and behavioral concepts such as social groups and institutions, culture and cultural diversity, and individual development and identity
- Apply concepts and principles from the social sciences or history to current and past social behavior and public issues
- Participate in public life through discussion of public issues and civic involvement and propose solutions to societal problems or issues
- Housing and community developers
- Youth workers
- Probation officers
- Social researchers
The Social Studies curriculum covers a broad range of coursework including economics, geography, history, and political science along with electives in social science and psychology. See our course catalog for a complete class listing.
- History minor
CUAA’s Social Studies program is recognized by the National Council for the Social Studies.
Recommended High School Prep
- Lab Science
- Social Studies
- Foreign language