Disability support

At CUAA, we want to support all our students in the academic journey. In accordance with the Americans and Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973, individuals with disabilities are protected from discrimination and assured services and accommodations that provide equal access to the activities and programs of the university.

To establish that an individual is covered under the ADA, documentation must indicate that the disability substantially limits a major life activity. If academic or classroom-based accommodations are requested, learning must be one of the major life activities affected.

Documentation submitted must:
  • Be appropriate to verify eligibility
  • Demonstrate a current substantial impact of one or more major life activities 
  • Support the request for accommodations and or auxiliary aids

How to qualify for disability services

To qualify for disability services through ARC students are required to:
  • Provide diagnostic documentation from a licensed clinical professional familiar with the history and functional implications of the impairments
  • Adequately verify through disability documentation the nature and extent of the disability according to current professional standards and techniques. The documentation must clearly substantiate the need for all of the student's specific accommodation requests.

Important notes about disability documentation

  • All documentation must be submitted on the official letterhead of the professional describing the disability
  • The report should be dated and signed and include the name, title, and professional credentials of the evaluator, including information about license or certification
  • If the original documentation is incomplete or inadequate to determine the extent of the disability or reasonable accommodation, the university has the discretion to require additional documentation
  • Any cost incurred in obtaining additional documentation when the original records are inadequate is borne by the student
  • If the documentation is complete but the university desires a second professional opinion, the university bears the latter cost
  • In general, it is not acceptable for such documentation to include a diagnosis or testing performed by a member of the student's family
  • Students requesting accommodations for the manifestations of multiple disabilities must provide evidence of all such conditions

Request more information

We’re here to help! To request more information about disability support services or to request accommodations, please contact Emily Perry, Disability Support Services Coordinator, at 734-995-7327 or email emily.perry@cuaa.edu. You can also request information online by completing CUAA’s Academic Resources online contact form.