We’ve prepared a summary of a few of the regulations you must follow while you are in the United States in F-1/J-1 status. It is your responsibility to know all of the regulations pertaining to your status, not just the requirements we’ve listed below.

It is your responsibility to maintain your status while in the United States. We recommend reading page 2 of your I-20/DS-2019 if you have not already done so.

F-1/J-1 Student Status

You must continually maintain your F-1/J-1 student status, which means:

  1. You must be continuously enrolled full-time on campus in your program of study at Concordia. See the link “full-time enrollment requirements” for specific requirements for full-time enrollment in your program of study. Full-time requirements are subject to change.
  2. You must always have a valid passport. If your passport will expire while you are in the U.S., it must be renewed at least six months before the expiration date.
    1. Please note: It is okay if your visa expires while you are in the United States as long as you are maintaining your status and have a valid passport, valid I-20/DS-2019, and I-94 admission marked D/S; however, if you leave the U.S., you will need to get a new visa before you re-enter. Visas cannot be renewed within the U.S.
  3. You must always have a valid I-20/DS-2019. If any of the information on the I-20/DS-2019 needs to be changed, you must contact the Concordia International Center (CIC) immediately to make the appropriate corrections.
  4. You must not undertake any type of off-campus employment without proper authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service. Working off campus without authorization is a violation of your F-1/J-1 status.
  5. The CIC must always have your current address on file. If you move, two things must happen: 1) the CIC must update your address in the SEVIS system and Banner, and 2) you must submit a Form AR-11 [http://www.uscis.gov/ar-11] to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security within 10 days of moving.
  6. If you have any questions about what you can or cannot do, please contact a Designated School Official (DSO) in the CIC before you do or do not participate in something such as employment, not enrolling in courses full time, dropping a course, etc. Often times when your friends tell you that you can do something, your friends are wrong. Always check with a DSO before you do something that may jeopardize your status in the U. S.
  7. You must pay your school fees before classes begin and you must continue to make academic progress.
  8. Ensure page 3 of your I-20/page 1 of your DS-2019 is signed before you leave the United States if you are planning on re-entering the country in F-1/J-1 status.

Appointments with CIC

If you need to speak with a member of the Concordia International Center (CIC), it is always best for you to make an appointment. You may contact us at:

International Center

Kelly Kunesh-Barnett


DSO Cherise Beardsley


DSO Amanda Reitz


DSO Christine Kao


Robin Kuzu

International Student Advisor

Exec. Director Dr. David Birner


Tuition Account Information

All tuition, resident hall fees, and school charges must be paid before the first day of class and before moving into the residence halls. If you do not pay your fees on time, your account will be placed on hold. If this happens, you will not be able to register for class and your SEVIS record could be terminated.

Please note that before a member of the CIC will endorse paperwork for you such as travel signatures, reviewing break forms, or writing invitation letters, your student account must be at a zero balance.

Health Insurance

Things you need to know about health insurance:

  • Medical care in the U.S. is very expensive.
  • J-1 status holders are required by the U.S. Department of State to have continuous medical insurance coverage which includes repatriation and medical evacuation coverage while in the U.S. J-1 status holders with a DS-2019 issued by Concordia University must provide the CIC with proof of this insurance coverage within a week of entering the U.S.
  • F-1 students also should continuously have health insurance coverage while studying in the United States.
  • If you don’t have health insurance, you may stop by the Concordia International Center (KA115) to pick up insurance information from various insurance vendors about health insurance that is available for international students to purchase. Concordia University does not endorse any specific insurance company.
  • Please purchase health insurance immediately if you do not have a medical plan that covers you while you’re in the United States!

Social Security Numbers

Social security numbers are only needed if you will be employed in the United States. You do not need a social security number to open a bank account or to get a Wisconsin driver’s license. The only time a member of the CIC will be able to endorse your paperwork for social security is if you have obtained an on-campus job or you are participating in curricular practical training, optional practical training, or J-1 academic training.