Our Beginning

The land upon which Concordia University stands was once home to the Chippewa, Ottawa, Pottawatomie, Huron, and Miami nations. Back then, Geddes Road was an old Native American highway called the Pottawatomie Trail. In 1917, Harry Boyd Earhart purchased the property. A philanthropist, Mr. Earhart’s interests focused on education, religion and charity.

In the late 1950’s, the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod began a search for a site to build a college. They purchased the Earhart estate in the early 1960’s, began construction, and Concordia College, Ann Arbor was dedicated as a junior college in 1963. That same year, Concordia was granted the right to award the Associate of Arts degree by the State of Michigan. In 1976 the State approved the expansion of the College to a four-year institution with the right to award the Bachelor of Arts degree.

How We Grew

In 2001, Concordia College officially became Concordia University Ann Arbor (CUAA). We are accredited by NCA, the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, and among the first colleges to be accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) under the new 2000 standards.

In July, 2013 a strategic alliance between CUAA and Concordia University Wisconsin became official. A new Science Laboratory joins major campus renovations and enhancements to residence halls, the student union and the dining hall that were undertaken the previous summer. Accelerated Learning Centers in Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Jackson and Frankenmuth were opened during this same time span.

Our Future

Today, Concordia’s undergraduate program offers over 50 majors and 50 minors, with degrees in church work, education, business, the arts, communication and the sciences. CUAA offers accelerated and graduate degrees for adult learners through the School of Adult and Continuing Education. We are pleased and excited to educate and nurture the leaders and change-makers of tomorrow.