The Music Department at Concordia offers substantial music scholarships for new students!
Who can apply for a music scholarship?
Music scholarships can be awarded to all incoming full time students. Returning students are not eligible for new Music Merit, Participation, or Supplemental scholarships.
Which scholarship should I apply for?
Have you participated in high school band, choir, or orchestra? If so, we have a music scholarship that's right for you! There are two basic Music Scholarships available to students, depending on their interest:
Music Merit Scholarship
Music Majors or Minors, $2,000 to $8,000
The Music Merit scholarship is designed for students who have demonstrated a strong commitment to music in high school, and have the potential to make significant contributions to our music program at the collegiate level. Students at the audition are evaluated both in terms of their musical performance and their past musical involvement. Various accomplishments at the high school level might result in a higher award level.
Music Participation Scholarship
Non-Music Major/Minors, $2,000
The Music Participation scholarship is designed for students who loved to make music in high school, and want to continue to do so in college. The audition process is a low-stress experience in a supportive environment, designed so that most students who were successful in high school can receive this scholarship and continue making music in college.
Additional Supplemental Scholarships of $2,000 are available. Supplemental Scholarships are scholarships that may be “added on” to an existing scholarship, giving interested students an increased financial award from the music department. Students must audition for either a Music Merit or Participation scholarship to be eligible for a supplemental scholarship. These scholarships are designed for students with a specific interest in one of the following areas:
- The Pep Band Scholarship is available to students who wish to be in the Concordia Pep Band or Drum Line. Students receiving this scholarship make a commitment to participate in a pre-season band camp, and play with the Pep Band or Drum Line at home football games and basketball games.
- The Worship Arts Scholarship is available to students who wish to participate in a Worship Arts Ensemble. The Worship Arts ensembles rehearse once a week and perform regularly in chapel. Students interested in this scholarship also agree to minor in either Contemporary Christian Music or Worship Arts Leadership.
- The Musical Theater Scholarship is available to students with an interest in musical theater. Students receiving this scholarship agree to participate in the annual Boar’s Head Festival and audition for the Spring Musical each spring.
How many music scholarships can I receive?
Students may apply for either the Music Merit or the Participation scholarship. Students may select ONE Supplemental Scholarship (Pep Band/Drum Line, Worship Arts Leadership, or Musical Theater) to audition for. Scholarships are only available to incoming students at the scheduled audition dates.
2016-2017 Audition Dates
Auditions occur on the following dates:
- Saturday, November 12, 2016
- Saturday, February 11, 2017
- Saturday, February 25, 2017
Students who apply to the University during Spring 2017 who wish to audition for a Music Scholarship will have a 30 day window from the date of application in which to schedule and complete an audition, if this date falls after February 25. Students who do not complete the audition within this window will not be eligible for a Music Scholarship.
What instruments can audition for scholarships?
- Bass Clarinet
- Classical Guitar
- Drums or Percussion
- Euphonium Flute
- French Horn
- String bass Trombone
I have more questions. Can I e-mail someone?
Certainly! Please contact Julie Pierce for additional information.